ID:               14474
 Updated by:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-Reported By:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
+Reported By:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Bug Type:         Scripting Engine problem
 Operating System: Windows XP Pro/Linux
 PHP Version:      4.1.0
 New Comment:

I've used a packet logger and have found that PHP seems to halt
transmission around a php instruction.
The socket is actually closed, I'm not sure if there needs to be an
'END' string at the end of an http session, but there are no CR's or
anything like that on the end.

I've tried the script on PHP 4.0.6, Windows 2000 Pro, Apache 1.3.22,
php installed as a module.
If I use a download manager to access the script it works.
I use Mass Downloader 2.2 and to get the file I write something like
this to the url address: http://localhost/bug.php.
The program starts downloading the file and after downloading 28.55 Mb
stops, but it doesn't say that the download finished and after 5 sec.
it starts downloading the file again. If I set the for loop only to 100
the result is the same, after the program transfers 2.5 Kb it waits for
5 sec. after he tryes again to download it.
But if I try this with IE (when the loop is set to 100) everything it's
ok.
So, after running this tests, I think that the problem is not that PHP
does not support large outputs, but the browser. (28.55 Mb it's a huge
html file).
I've tested IE with the loop set to 100000 and it works.
If I set the loop to 1000000 then I ran aout of memory, because my page
file is only of 380 Mb. But maybe if I would have more memory
everything would be OK.

Probably, Zeev is right about regarding
[2001-12-12 20:33:45] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
update.  Since I didn't see active httpd process.

httpd should close connection when PHP cannot execute script, anyway
;)
(I suppose httpd is not closing connection. With my IE under w2k,
networks may become ususable. Mozilla under linux halts. This is
critical :)

More detailed analysys is required. Any volanteers?

I don't think that our current analysis is correct.  Take a look at the
access log - I'm pretty sure you'd see that the page is being
repeatedly requested by IE, and not requested only once.

Something about the way the server disconnects may cause IE to think
that the page was not properly fetched, and make it try to reload it.
That would be my guess...

I think this is critical

This problem reveals a memory limit bailout problem.
Even if PHP exhsusted memory, script does not exit.

PHP logs following logs many times. (Linux/PHP4.1.0, without output
buffering)

[13-Dec-2001 10:27:52] PHP Fatal error:  Allowed memory size of 8388608
bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 10240 bytes) in
/home/yohgaki/public_html/bugs/14474/bug.php on line 4

Type is changed to Scripting Engine Problem.

    http://bugs.php.net/14474

--
Edit this bug report at http://bugs.php.net/?id=14474&edit=1