It's documented on
    http://www.php.net/manual/en/zend.arguments.retrieval.php

    It's a kind of promoting binary safety. Not the passed number
    of parameter passed to zend_parse_parameters() is important
    but what modifies are used to describe the parameters.

    Since a string is not only meant to be characters from A-Z
    but in fact can be anything including binary data, it's a
    good idea [tm] to always get the point to the string AND it's
    length and work with both when making further function calls
    (if possible).

GnuPG Key: http://guru.josefine.at/~mfischer/C2272BD0.asc