On 2002-02-17 17:35:26, André Nęss wrote:
> nice though, just to tell people about other hashing functions. Maybe there
> should also be a mention of the fact that MD5 is fairly easy to crack?

Can you give some references?

Yes, MD5 does have some weaknesses (so SHA1 would probably be better),
but as far as I know it's not "fairly easy to crack". (I must search
the Dobbertin paper, which probably found the first serious design
flaws in MD4, but IMHO no real attacks in practice until now for
MD5. Are there any newer papers about this?)

  Stefan

--
Stefan Röhrich               [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                 http://www.roehri.ch/~sr/