>From what I understand, starting with PHP 4.2.x, PHP is going to
automatically build with a CLI executable by default. This means that even
when you install as, say, an Apache SAPI module, you're still going to get
the CLI, correct?

That being the case, a few months ago a thread popped up about seperating
the php.ini files that web server modules and the CLI executable run on.
Has there been any more thought on this?

The differences between the CLI executable and web server modules can be
drastic enough to warrant this sort of thing, imho. I regularly build both
the executable and web server modules all the time on the same machine, and
having them both point to the same php.ini can sometimes cause havoc, as
usually they're not configured anything alike. (For instance, I usually use
output buffering for the web server configuration, but not for the CLI.)

I've also run into problems with a few extensions that don't run with
things like the Zend optimizer. (PCNTL comes to mind -- obviously it's only
useful in the CLI executable, but the Zend optimizer refuses to work with
it at all, yet I still want to use it on the web server -- thus requiring
seperate php.ini configurations.)

I know that you can set PHPRC to another path before starting PHP up,
either as CLI or from a web server, but it's quite a pain. There are also a
few other work arounds, like the magic "#!" token at the beginning of shell
scripts (which isn't at all portable), but I'm still thinking the best
solution would be to split the php.ini files in two -- one for the web
server SAPI and one for the CLI. Call them php.ini and php-cli.ini or
something.

Or am I just crazy?