> >The problem really is that when you give configure a path to some specific
> >place for a static library, but you also have that library as a shared
> >library in /usr/lib things get messy because we do the configure check
> >against the located static library explicitly, but then we do a
>
>     Actually, we check for both static and shared:
>
>     for i in lib/gd1.3 lib/gd lib gd1.3 gd ""; do
>        test -f $j/$i/libgd.$SHLIB_SUFFIX_NAME -o -f $j/$i/libgd.a && GD_LIB=$j/$i
>     done

Yes, we do, but I meant that if you do:

  --with-gd=/some/path

And /some/path/libgd.a is there, and for the sake of this example assume
there is no /some/path/libgd.so.  We then do all the version checks
against that static libgd.a library.  But on the final build we do:

  -L/some/path -lgd

If /usr/lib/libgd.so exists, as of 4.2.0 this will now be picked up.  In
my paritcular case I had /usr/lib/libgd.so being gd-1.8.4 and
/some/path/libgd.a being gd-2.0.1.  And it broke with an unresolved
gdImageColorResolveAlpha symbol error when loading libphp4.so

> >-L/specific/place -lgd which ends up linking in the different shared
> >library from /usr/lib.  It isn't just for GD this happens, it just so
> >happens to be more common for people to have two copies of GD.
>
>     What is the problem actually? I have two copies, one in /usr/lib
>     and one in /www/gd-1.8.4/lib and I haven't noticed any problems..

Sure, no problems if it is the same version of GD.  Normally when people
have two copies they will not be the same version.

-Rasmus