I think I see bug number 1...

The system call for select() you to perform an indefinite blocking call if
you pass NULL as tv, but PHP's socket_select() doesn't seem to have that
feature. (It did in previous versions, from sometime in 4.0.7dev and up. I
caught that bug originally, actually.)

The old fix is still a valid one -- if the user doesn't pass arguments sec
and usec, pass NULL as the tv argument to the system select() call. I've
implemented it in last night's snapshot and it seems to work fine.
(Although I'm having a bitch re-writing our sockets stuff -- I have no idea
how to use the arrays yet versus the file descriptors, but I'll report as I
go.)