I've finally gotten the Crypto++ extension I've been working on up to the
point where I think a release is warranted. At least, an alpha release.

The Crypto++ extension provides a number of cryptographic algorithms,
including some 27 block cipher algorithms and 13 hash algorithms. At this
point, you can pretty easily encrypt and decrypt text using a variety of
block cipher modes along with a bunch of other options, as well as hash and
validate hashed text.

I'm considering this alpha-quality right now, as I'm the only one who's
tested it, and I'd like some others to start looking at it and telling me
what they think. It's coded mostly in C++ with some C to talk to PHP. It's
not an overly complex extension, but it works pretty well. Out of 360-some
tests (taken from the Crypto++ validation suite), only 8 fail, and I
already know why. (Not sure if I'm going to bother fixing it, though.)

Anyways, to try out the extension, head to http://209.202.82.229/software.
To view the extension's manual, head to
http://209.202.82.229/software/cryptopp/. To download the extension
directly, try
http://209.202.82.229/software/download.php/cryptopp-php-0.0.1.tar.gz.

So far, I've only tested the extension on Linux (2.4.9 kernel using gcc/g++
2.96 and on Solaris 8 using gcc/g++ 2.95). It should work on Windows, but I
haven't tested it yet. (If anybody gets it working on win32, please let me
know.)

p.s. Derick -- what's the word on that abstracted crypto API you mentioned a
while back? I'm still interested.