I looked over the patch very briefly. I have a couple of
comments/changes, but I'll take time to look more at it tomorrow.

The problem is that now we have yet another aspell, and on aspell
website it says that it's the latest and the greatest, and our website
(www.php.net/pspell and www.php.net/aspell) tells people to use pspell
extension because aspell is old and deprecated (which is true with
regard to the version of aspell that our aspell extensions supports).
So, we have old aspell, which (hopefully) nobody uses. We have pspell,
which people use. And we have new aspell, which has essentially the same
API as pspell, but the name of the project has changed back to what it
used to be 2-3 years ago.

That becomes confusing, so I wanted to ask a question - what to do?
Should we nuke aspell extension altogether because it's very old and
update the documentation to tell people that pspell extension works with
new aspell? Should we make aspell extension work with both old and new
aspell's (that's gonna be a lot of #ifdef's)? Should we just update the
documentation to tell people that old aspell is not the same as new
aspell, so, confusing as it is, they should not use aspell extension,
but pspell extension instead?

I'm just curious if I can get any useful feedback on what it would make
sense to do.

Thanks,

Vlad