How much COW does php do?... I saw a post that it does it for arrays? what else
does it do it for.

 I was thinking that a COW per zval would be good. expecially when you get into
large arrays.

$a = array(/*10000 items*/);
$b = $a;
$b[999] = false;

will this copy all elements or just copy one?
if you had COW per zval this would only result in one new zval not 10000

and as far as overhead of doing this kinda of work..
alls we would need to do is add something like
zend_uchar should_be_ref to the zval..
all assignments would be ref's and on a write..

just check if should_be_ref is 0 and is_ref is 1. then separete_zval().

i dont' know if/how much COW php is handling this now. but i would be
interested in finding out.

- Brad

- Brad