On Sat, 2002-04-27 at 03:30, Zeev Suraski wrote:
> At 03:18 27/04/2002, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
> >It looks like we can.  I was assuming the SGML characteristics for XML and
> >it looks like I was wrong.  A '>' is ok inside the <?php ?> tags.
>
> Ok, so that's actually useful.  But it sounds odd - XML is not SGML compliant?

You should know about SGML that it can be configured beyond belief,
through the "SGML declaration".  You can change what characters in a
document are valid, what character sequences should be used to delimit
tags and almost everything else about the format.  Different DTDs can be
used with different SGML declarations, XML is used with one (try "locate
xml.dcl").  This generality is why XML came to be: writing a
fully-featured SGML parser required bat wings, toad spit and a black
cauldron.

 - Stig