Hi Maria...

What version of PHP are you running?  If you are running 4.2.0 or newer, the
problem you are seeing is by design.  From version 4.2.0 onwards, request
variables are no longer registered in the global scope.
See http://www.php.net/release_4_2_0.php

In future, [EMAIL PROTECTED] is the place to post questions about
developing WITH PHP - php-dev is for the development OF PHP.

Thanks,

Matt