Well, the absolute fastest way to get something similar to this is to
write a PHP extension in C that performs your time-sensitive operations.
It really is much easier than most people think to extend PHP in this
fashion.  If you are a moderately experienced C programmer, you can take a
function you have written in PHP and turn it into C without too much
hassle.

-Rasmus