--- Christian Stocker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi
>
> > Yeah thats pretty much it. It does make it eaiser for people using
> > dom in another lanugage to pick it up in php if it did conform to
> > the standard. Expecially how we are trying to conform the functions
> > to begin with. Instead of having append_child... why not add_child..
>
> 'cause appendChild, resp. append_child is the the w3c standard ...

 Yeah i was saying we are sticking to the standard for function names why not
keep the naming convention too.

> > - We started conforming to the standard why not go the whole way. -
>
> 'cause, as said before, it's the php way to seperate words. And i would
> much apreciate, if this would be everywhere the same (isset and is_null as
> a wonderfull example...)
>
> > And with alias we can have the php standard and the w3c standard.
>
> i don't see a reason for that. it's not that complicated to change
> appendChild to append_child in your code. you have to change your code
> anyway. and since PHP is not case-sensitive functionname wise, you will
> get funny stuff (see ext/gd in all the tutorials, if php is ever going
> case sensitiv (is it?), then all those examples are in big trouble :) )

 Not if they use the right case... appendChild vs appendchild the if one day
php goes casesensitve then you will be all set.

> I'm certainly against introducing the non-underscore api-stuff. and BTW,
> i didn't found anything on w3.org, which says method names have to be
> studly caps (but i just had a quick look). The php-api is more or less
> clear in that way, that where w3c suggest an uppercase letter, php makes
> an underscore. Therefore it's not that hard to switch between different
> languages.

 Its not a hard switch at all but it still IS a switch. Why force a switch when
you don't have to.

> ok. i repeat more or less what others said...

 I still don't see a good arugment agains adding alias. I see it as saving us
from the comments like "its not w3c standard". People would "look down" on the
extension becuase it doesn't conform.

If you only arugment is because its not a php standard. I see that as a weak
argument.

 I really don't understand you guys went thru that extension and made it dom
compliant (functionality wise) and you just won't go one step further and make
alias so the naming convension is standard too.

I personally like _'s too but i still think that adding aliases doesn't hurt
anything.

- Brad