Let's say I do:

    zval *newVar;
    MAKE_STD_ZVAL( newVar );
    ZEND_SET_SYMBOL( &EG(symbol_table), "varKey", newVar );

and then I do:

    MAKE_STD_ZVAL( newVar );
    ZEND_SET_SYMBOL( &EG(symbol_table), "varKey", newVar );

This will overwrite my orignal newVar, however, will the original
newVar be garbaged collected or is this my responsibility now that
I'm out of PHP land? Also if it is auto garbage collected, is there
a way I can force garbage collection to run while I'm in a deep
recursion?

Cheers,
Rob.
--