On Thu, 30 May 2002, Yasuo Ohgaki wrote:

> Brad Lafountain wrote:
>
> >  But take ext/domxml it requires a newerversion of libxml2. I didn't have it
> > installed on my machine when i installed php. If we bundle say a specfic
> > version of libxml2 that domxml depends on, then it won't matter how fast pased
> > the development is, ext/domxml won't use it. We can obvisouly peridocially
> > upgrade the version that is bundled and you can have an override if you want to
> > use a different version that is installed on a system. As xml gets more and
> > more popular i feel that domxml will be more and more popular.
> >
> >  "Build outta the box"
>
> +1 for libxml2 bundle. This already discussed, isn't this?

-1 on this, as libxml2 is quite big, it would increase the PHP source by
about 60%:

File: php-4.2.1.tar.gz       3298 KB  05/13/2002  09:02:00 PM
File: libxml2-2.4.17.tar.gz  1861 KB  03/08/2002  12:00:00 AM

And I don't think it would be a good idea to bundle it even if it was
small. A project like libxml changes so much with releases every two weeks
that it would be a hell to keep upgrading the bundled library in order to
have the latest version.

Derick

 Did I help you?   http://www.jdimedia.nl/derick/link.php?url=giftlist
 Frequent ranting: http://www.jdimedia.nl/derick/