At 18:53 6-6-2002, Cliff Woolley shared with all of us:

>On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, Sebastian Bergmann wrote:
>
> >   A user posted [1] a "benchmark" today in the German PHP Newsgroup [2]
> >   stating that Apache 2.0 and PHP (current HEAD) are about 20% slower
> >   than Apache 1.3.
> >
> >   Are there any official benchmarks out there? I can't quite believe
> >   this...
>
>None that I know of.  But I'm not terribly surprised by this... Apache 2.0
>itself tends to be a bit faster than 1.3 depending on the configuration,

Actually - depending on the platform also:
Apache 1.3.24 - 50 childs:
Document Path:/manual/mod/directives.html
Document Length:17138 bytes
Concurrency Level:40
Time taken for tests:484.882 seconds
Complete requests:200000
Failed requests:0
Total transferred:-789454894 bytes
HTML transferred:-867257617 bytes
Requests per second:412.47
Transfer rate:-1628.14 kb/s received
Connnection Times (ms)
   min avg max
Connect: 0 0 1752
Processing: 3 96 5433
Total: 3 96 7185

Apache 2.0.36 - per-thread, 3 childs, 50/per child
Document Path:/manual/mod/directives.html
Document Length:17999 bytes
Concurrency Level:40
Time taken for tests:2340.058 seconds
Complete requests:200000
Failed requests:0
Total transferred:-640847172 bytes
HTML transferred:-694857432 bytes
Requests per second:85.47
Transfer rate:-273.86 kb/s received
Connnection Times (ms)
   min avg max
Connect: 0 2 1999
Processing: 11 465 4612
Total: 11 467 6611

ab -w -n 200000 -c 40 <url>

Ap2 didn't have php compiled.
Apache 1.3.24 did.

but - I believe this to be a thread/DSO/signals issue.
Would be interesting to see, if Debian has the same problems, as most answers,
to problems on BSD/OS I've got from Debian postings :-)

Not to mention:
http://bugs.php.net/?id=17614
http://bugs.php.net/?id=17575

Met vriendelijke groeten / With kind regards,

IDG.nl
Melvyn Sopacua
Webmaster