I've just been playing building a php bytecode compiler - based off of
the apc serialize code. - made it thread safe and made it as a php
extension that reads/writes streams - so it only works with 4.3-dev..

the tarball is at
http://docs.akbkhome.com/bcompiler-0.1.tgz

source files are here:
http://docs.akbkhome.com/bcompiler/

The current status is:
It can compile a class - example is bcompiler.php.txt
It can load a class - example is bcompiler_read.php.txt

It passes a few simple tests - although it currently segfaults if you
call a static method of the class and dont use the class instantation
stuff : eg. $test=new test12;

anyway for you want to play with it - and help fix it :) let me know

regards
alan