> I asked to php-dev and nobody objects enabling mbstirng by
> default. This allow some modules (extif, mailparse(?), for example)
> to use multibyte feature.

No objections here.

> multibyte regular expression is "must have" feature for
> ease of use. (preg supports UTF-8, but it requires conversion
> in many cases)
>
> mbstr-enc-trans is enabled, since it's does not require
> much performenace penalty and most multibyte aware installations
> enable this option, I think. This option is subject to be
> discussed.

I think this should be turned off by default. I don't know how big is the
performance penalty, but any unneeded slowdown is a bad thing.

This also make bug chasing more difficult and as we have to maintain two
separate pieces of code that do the same thing. Just have a look at
http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=16985 which is caused by different behaviour
of main/php_variables.c and ext/mbstring/mbstring.c.

Could we please turn this feature off by default?

Edin