It's needed because a lot of the doc pages are long, and there is not
always going to be a 1:1 mapping between the active function and a
description of the error.

For example, in the stream wrappers, when someone tries to open an
http connection for write, or tries to overwrite an existing file via
ftp, we will want to inform the user that we don't support this action.
Now, if fopen was the only function that createdwrappers, we could use
a NULL for the docref.

In actual fact fopen(), copy(), and other extensions will all be using
wrappers, so the active function becomes meaningless.  Couple that with
the main description of using URLs not actually being on the fopen manual
page (it's under features.remote-files), and because that page is really
long, finding the two lines that say you can't do that is pretty hard
work.

So, we do need the '#target' syntax in there :-)

--Wez.