But the real issue here is about session hijacking.  Yes, of course people
can send whatever session id they want to PHP.  Since the session id comes
from the user we need to accept what is sent.  Perhaps a check should be
added to make sure it looks like a proper session id before using it, but
this can be done easily in user space and it really doesn't affect
security in any way.  We are trying to protect the existing sessions
sitting behind the unpredictable PHP-generated session ids.  Why would a
normal user hack himself and choose a predictable session id?

-Rasmus