On August 28, 2002 06:54 pm, Marcus Börger wrote:
> At 23:32 28.08.2002, Edin Kadribasic wrote:
> > > For the record cli has --enable-cli and --disable-cli where the first
> > > is the default so your script has to check for that and if you want it
> > > you build it twice. In other words a correct script would be very
> > > long.... And cli alone is not possible!
> >
> >So what? I takes about 3 more sec. to build cli + something, than cli
> > alone.
> >
> >Edin
>
> No it takes 10min to 20min to build cli + any module. And two times that
> time to build cli + two modules. Is it so hard to understand that i as a
> developer want to test with three modules?

If you compile apache sapi module you automatically get php-cli compiled
(4.3.0-dev), so there is no wait. Compiling any other sapi ONLY involves
compiling the files needed for that sapi and then relinking the php files
(unless make clean is run). This would take not more then a minute even on an
old computer.
Most people do not require cli, apache and cgi on the same machine since
apache & cgi are rather redundant. Having all three, is as you mentioned is
only for testing perposes, so it would be of interest only to people working
on PHP. Since it is only for testing, there is hardly a need to delays
everyone's PHP compile times and use up extra 4 megs or so for the useless
cgi or apache binary.
If you do require all 3 for testing, why not simply make a shell script that
would automatically build you all 3, saving you the few seconds needed to run
the configure script on each run.

config.nice_apache
make
make install