Ilia,

    unfortunately, I cannot view your patch -- it was not
    Cc'ed to me and news.php.net does not know about text/x-diff
    yet (Jim, could you please add that?).

    Wez,

    it looks like the default blocking behaviour of fill_read_buffer
    is causing several bugs :-)

    Reading from stdin blocks, because the function will not
    return unless a specified amount of data has been read.

    For files and ttys, a single read should be sufficient, so we
    need PHP_STREAM_FLAG_AVOID_BLOCKING for stdio operations as
    well.

    Or: Reconsider the standard semantics of that function.  It
    is very likely that only a few special cases will require the
    use of multiple read operations.

    - Sascha