> This is causing me problems in an environment where /usr/lib is not the
> default primary link directory and I need to explicitly add it to get
> stuff to compile right.  Why is this check here?  Just to pretty up the
> link line?  Would it hurt to leave this check off so /usr/lib can be
> forced on weird systems?

    There are various systems which host multiple compile
    environments on one machine (e.g. 32 and 64 bit data models).
    Libraries are stored in distinct directories, such as
    /usr/lib for 32 bit and /usr/lib64.  In these cases, it is
    fatal to add /usr/lib to the link line and as such we prevent
    it in a central place.

    You can simply add a section in the case $host_alias
    section:

    *yoursystemname*)
        php_ldflags_add_usr_lib=yes;;

    - Sascha