> I'd like to do a collective rethink of this.  The simple description of
> the session_register() function in the manual is:

    This description was correct initially (I wrote it), but has
    not been updated as the session module was extended.  I've
    noticed this documentation issue in the earlier thread, but
    have not come around to fix it yet.

    If I may refer you to the session index page again, that one
    clearly stated since the beginning that the behaviour
    changes, depending on register_globals.

    Now, if your application(s) rely on this feature and you
    don't want to change them, you can always disable the
    warning.

> make the function behave exactly as described in the short description.

    I suggest we fix the documentation.

>  2. changing this breaks BC

    I'm not aware of any BC issues.  If you have a test case,
    I'll be happy to look at it.

    - Sascha