phplib's solution has been to re-register s globals ll the $_SESSION
vars.
The register_globals=Off has been placed, I suppose, to prevent GET/POST
(and any user_originated) var to overwrite uninitialized program
variables.
As session vars are not user_originated, and only the programmer can set
it, I'd let them global as always, or write my own globalizing function
after session start