Try taking out the fclose($fp) line :-)

fclose nukes the stream (just like all the other resource freeing functions)
so it's not valid by the time that ming goes to use it = crash.

Replacing fclose($fp) with $fp = null; is probably the correct thing to
do in the script; there is not much that can be done to prevent the crash
from happening :-/

--Wez.