<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote... :

> I'm sure glad this in the headlines again ;-)
>
> As Thies knows, I already proposed another important change, which is supporting
>multiple character sets. This is very important on shared web platforms, and I have
>experienced the trouble that arises from the way the oci ext treats the session
>environment (-> as a global one).
> Oracle 9i offers some functions which help out from this dilemma, and I have changed
>the existing oci ext to support them. The most important change (from a user's
>viewpoint) is that OCILogon has an optional forth parameter, the character set, so an
>connection looks like this:
>
> OCILogon($user,$pass,$tnsname,"WE8ISO8859P1");

> Ok, I know this isn't ideal, since OCILogon already has an optional parameter, but
>maybe people can set $tnsname to false if they want to use the default one
>(ORACLE_SID) and use a specific character set? Anyway, my code works, and is already
>being used in a relativly big production environment.

Well, ideally, there would be a function for charset to be called before
any OCIParse and set the charset. This would be:

1. more flexible
2. would exclude non-authentication functionality with OCILogon
3. easier to find for a user

> From a developers viewpoint what I mainly did was follow Thies' proposal and put the
>environment struct in the session struct, and use the global env only for init work.
>Then I decode the character set parameter (if it is omitted, the NLS_LANG setting or
>Oracle default will be used) and use it in open_session. Voila, Oracle takes care of
>the rest.
>
> Works better than I thought :-). The only thing I need to do now is to add a
>compile-time decision on whether Ora9i libraries are found or not, and then to make
>this functionality available depending on the version. If anyone's interested I can
>send a patch..

Well, let's ask Thies if he wants the patch, as I have no karma to php4 anyway :)

> As for the proposed name changes, IMHO it doesn't make that much of a sense,
> 1. since existing apps would have to be rewritten, and

No way,I meant to drop the existing compatibility :).

I'd keep the existing OCI8 extension, as well as I would keep ora_*
functions. I would simply add the earlier suggested oracle_* functions
to be something understood as a default Oracle extension similar to the
way other DBs work. That's my idea. the -1's are that someone can get
confused. But, nothing is free, I think a bit of confusion is the
minimal expense for such functionality. it's already confusing anyway.

> 2. there is absolutely zero effectiveness in merging the ora_ and OCI
> extensions, which differ greatly, into one. I think that would result
> in a mess or a big rewrite..

Wouldn't it be better, though? Yes, perhaps it would be a big rewrite,
but it would definitely create an actual Oracle extension, not
two version-specific ones. Really, it is confusing.

Try imagine a similar situation:

Whoever pays Oracle license is planning something big and costly. A such
"user" would have no much trouble paying also for Java or ASP, that
support Oracle pretty well, but, should the corp. prefer PHP, they'd
consider this more than once.

This is because they would be soon confused about how things are working
between PHP and Oracle, what Oracle versions are supported and for how
long...  Then, automatically (in some heads) answer arises: "Yeah, PHP
is Open Source, it won't support well commercial third parties...".

That is why I think that unifying Oracle into something that looks and
works just as other Open Source DBs can help PHP (5?) gain better trust
and confidence from middle-large projects worldwide.

I have this theory not from air, but from my experience as a consultant trying
propose PHP for Oracle Dbs :)

Maxim Maletsky
[EMAIL PROTECTED]