Maybe this is what you need?

http://www.naken.cc/mikehup.php

I use this on a CMS site, where the users upload imagefiles with ftp. After
that, they use a php webinterface to start an importscript (written in
Perl). By doing this command in php:

system("/usr/local/bin/mikehup /usr/bin/perl
/www/servers/netlag/cronscripts/import_billede.pl &");

The importscript is started and executes in the background while the
php-script finishes execution.

Hope that helps

- Carsten