So you're planning on converting POSIX regexen to PCRE so people don't
need to worry about PCRE metacharacters that are POSIX literals? Seems
tricky. (e.g. is "\w" a backslash and a w or a "word" character? what
about search patterns of 10 instead of "10" they have different
meanings in egrep(), you'll need to convert this, too.)

-adam