> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On
>
>    What is so hard to understand in word 'FATAL'?
>    If your script doesn't work, what use is it to make it
>    show the cryptic 500 error??
>
>    I'm -100000 for adding anything like this, even if and
>    even more then if it's optional.

Returning a 500 is one of the easiest ways to automatically audit of fatal
problems in your script, because it is (usually) pretty trivial to grab such
status codes out of the access log. This is incredibly useful in build and
test environments (we have automated processes trawling the logs on our dev,
stage and production servers looking for problems). Indeed, you could go a
step further with an ISAPI or Apache custom error handler (and presumably
NSAPI, which I don't have experience of) to have immediate notification
(useful if you've got a bunch of non-technical people testing out an
interface).

>From a user point of view, you can return an entity (say, an HTML page) with
a 500 error. Yes, this requires output buffering, but since this is all
being mooted as an optional variant on error handling, that really shouldn't
be counted against it. From the point of view of a non-human agent accessing
such a page, you really /should/ return 500 so it's obvious that the request
wasn't serviced properly. Returning an unparseable mess of pseudo-HTML
really isn't useful in that many circumstances.

I'm not qualified to comment on how feasible this sort of thing is for PHP,
especially on all the SAPIs it supports, but as a user of PHP it is an
option I'd be interested in.

Cheers,
James
---