Or it could just not be there at all?

What the big deal here? It's four extra lines in ext_skel to get rid of it.

Besides, you can comment the hell out of it, write six pages of
documentation surrounded in /* */ if you want, you know there will be
people asking why there's C++ code in their C code. If my vision of the
future is in any way accurate, at least, which it may very well not be.