$this stays defined when an instantatiated member function calls a
non-instantiated member function.
  Correct. I actually find it quite interesting. :)
  It can be useful at times, I have used it in my
  libraries as a feature.

  There is an interesting article on the subject:
  http://www.advogato.org/article/470.html

Now, please tell me how can you decide whether the member function is
called as an object element (eg. $obj->func()) or as a class element
(eg. class::func()).
  You mean from the function itself? You can't, as far as I
  can tell. That is why this works best if you have a "helper"
  class with all static methods. Once nice example that
  comes to mind is a method that persists objects to the
  database.

  But never mind that, I am not trying to justify the
  existence of this quirk so there is no point in
  discussing it.

Basic functionality is killed with this so-called feature.
  Although I did use it as such, I wouldn't actually call
  this a feature, and would prefer to have it removed from
  ZE2.

Bye,
Ivan