Right, but you can still use shared memory, or, you can store
  persistent objects onto the filesystem. We've done the later
  with satisfactory results.

Point taken. But this only allows to share resources that can be copied into and from IPC shared memory. Some resources (like open database connections, or a JVM) are not like that, even though they are expensive to create.
  True.

  Apache 2 resolves this problem. You can configure it to
  run multithreaded. Still, the issue of having a stable PHP remains.
Interesting. Does PHP run with apache 2?
  It depends on who you ask. I haven't tried it myself but from what
  I've read on this mailing list - it works for some people, some
  other people have problems.

Bye,
Ivan