OK, how about a much-expanded version for 4.3.1, say?
I'm a big fan of self-documenting code (use the
source, Luke). Perhaps a default function with all the
bells and whistles (checking for references, grabbing
a resource, etc, all documented up the wazoo).

Best Wishes

David Gillies
San Jose
Costa Rica