Hi,

Please refer to the mail given below that I sent you earlier. You had
told us that --with-apxs is the way to go. But we still have the same
issue.

Let me explain:

We currently use "apxs" to build a PHP "DSO" for Apache 1.3. We haven't
gotten around to trying it for Apache 2.0 yet. The problem we have is
that the core PHP piece, which used to be in a separate loadable module
called phplib.l, is not produced anymore. But this is part of one single
PHP Apache module php_apache.sim, which is specific to Apache 1.3. As
you can see, if we want to build PHP for Apache 2.0, then we would have
to produce another "DSO" for Apache 2.0 (php_apache2.sim or something
like that) which will *also* have embedded in the core PHP part that was
in phplib.l (.l indicates a shared library, .SIM is also a shared
library, but a special one.)

What we are looking for is to find out whether or not the current
autotool input files of PHP support the ability to produce a spearate
phplib.l and the appropriate "main" module - one for Apache 1.3, one for
Apache 2.0, one for command line etc. each of which can use the same
phplib.l ?

We tried to figure this out on Linux, but it appears that this seems
not to be supported. Are we correct in our findings? Or is there really
a way of doing the above of having different shared modules?

Your clarifications on this is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ananth.

>>> "Ananth Kesari" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 12/13/02 08:00PM >>>
Hi,

I am involved in porting PHP for NetWare.

We are now looking at and trying to understand how PHP is built on
Linux. I have a question for the same. It could be a newbie question on
configure script since we are new to Linux. Please help.

The question is like this:

On NetWare:
We generate mod_php executable as the Apache module which Apache loads
when appropriately configured. This in turn will use the phplib
executable which has the TSRM, ZEND, all the standard extensions and
libraries built into it. Then we have separate executables for
extensions like MySQL, LDAP, XML etc.

On Linux:
We are trying to look at building a similar binaries on Linux also. Is
that how it is done on Linux also?

To build for Apache on Unix, it appears that we have to use the
following options in the configure script to get the equivalent of what
I mentioned above:

--with-apache=<Path to Apache source> --disable-posix
--with-mysql=shared --with-ldap=shared --enable-ftp --enable-bcmath
--enable-calendar

The problem in this approach is that we seem to be getting a static
library (xxx.a) as an output. We are not clear what we are supposed to
do with this library! Perhaps this needs to be then built along with
Apache into the Apache executable.

There is an option called:

--with-apxs=<path to the apxs script of Apache>

which seems to produce a "DSO" which doesn't seem to work on Linux. The
build fails due to errors in the apxs script.

So, isn't it possible to produce on Linux, the equivalent of what I
mentioned above for NetWare? If so, what options do we need to use for
the configure process? We need to understand whether we are not using
the right options or whether it is simply not possible to do so with
what we have. The latter meaning that we need to make the necessary
modifications to the input files to get what we want.

Your early reply on this is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ananth.