On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 02:48:04AM +0100, Pierre-Alain Joye wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 20:46:45 -0500
> "Mike Robinson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hiya,
> >
> > I'm wondering if it will be possible to build and use both PHP4
> > and PHP5 as apache modules on the same webserver, similar to the
> > way we could use both PHP3 and PHP4.
>
> I hope so. libphp5 will be the module names, afaik. That will avoid
> conflict names. is it ?
Well, i guess if the name will be libphp5 (just as it is now libphp4), apache
shouldn't have any problems with
But the big question is. Will .php be parsed with php5 or php4.

With the upgrade from php3 to php4 we've just set the script handler per (virtual)
host.
Default was php3 and the upgraded sites were than using php4.

Another option is that you introduce an extention like php5, but removing them later
would be a hell of a job.
I still remember that i had to rename all the files in several projects. Well,
scripting makes the difference!
If i find the (bash) script (uses sed, awk, grep and cut) i will post it to the list.

For those windows users: Just download the gentoo (http://www.gentoo.org) live cd
(16MB) and boot the CD
You'll find a very complete installation cd. Just setup a network connection, start
the sshd deamon
and copy the files from your workstation to the gentoo system. Run the script and copy
back the results.
(Oh, you don't need to install the distro itself)

Note that are more distro that are offering live cd's just a get the 'feeling' of
linux, without installing the distro.
Much more persuasive than those 120 day limit cd's from Microsoft ;-)

--
With best regards,

Dave Mertens - Senior Development Manager
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Innovative Solutions in Media
Schiekade 101
3033 BG  Rotterdam, Netherlands