> you're propably a bit too optimistic, i can hardly imagine that all existing
> extensions all over the world compile out of the box against ZE2. i guess only
> a handful do this.

    Apparently, most of the extensions PHP ships with seem to
    work out of the box.  I'm under the impression that almost no
    changes are required, unless you directly manipulate objects.
    That brings up the question -- do we have some documentation
    for extension authors which covers necessary changes.

> the only thing that should be realized is that compiler warnings are still a
> bad thing(tm). i don't see any difference in this compared to changing the
> number of arguments of a function.

    There is an important difference regarding developer
    awareness:

    No. of args change: The compiler will always bail out.
    Developer knows: Aha, I need to fix something.

    Signedness change: The compiler might issue a warning or not.
    Developer knows: Usually nothing.

    There are so many signedness issues in ext/standard alone,
    that I would not want to run with such warnings enabled.

    - Sascha