It looks like a mess indeed, and there seems a thought that
encoding conversion and variable registration should be separated
into two phases. However doing so doesn't make sense because
some of multibyte characters contains "[", "]", or "=" and they cannot
be handled properly in the ordinary query parser. Therefore Rasmus's
sugestion sounds quite logical to me.

Moriyoshi