> >I have a script that allocates a lot of memory (huge associative
arrays).
> >The problem is that this scripts bails out with fatal error
(emalloc
> >unable to allocate 44 bytes) when I hit the limit of physical ram
in the
> >machine. Swap never gets used. The machine has 1 GB of ram and 2
GB of
> >swap space.
>

> I suppose you use some windows machine. I remember that all
application have
> only 1GB of RAM for their own until you have a windows server
version and that
> has an appropriate HAL and is configured to have more than 1gig.

Nope it's a RedHat Linux box. Just to make sure I've tried another
one, and there as well program quit after hitting the limit of
physical ram.

I also tried writing small C test program to verify that I wasn't
reaching some ulimit or kernel limitations, but it had no problems
mallocing 1.2 GB on the same box.

Edin