> You are correct in the event of a user writing a new function, however
> consider what will happen if we are dealing with a old code, especially if
> it is no longer used just by the author but rather by a variety of other
> people not familiar with PHP code. The result is that after they or their
> ISPs upgrade to new PHP their scripts will stop working.
Couldn't it be solved with just a warning when a function is defined also in
user level space and use the user-defined function instead of the one
provided by php? Then old systems could work fine, and also the author could
notice that a new function is added to php with the same name.
I had the same problem before with array_search and was a real pain updating
all the sites and sending patches to customers after they installed new
version php.
Just an idea...
        Arpi