As a followup, I'd like to document what worked (for me) to address
the problem.

The issue, in summary, is that mod_negotiation thinks that
PHP produces content of type application/x-httpd-php.  It usually
produces text/html of course, but there's no way for it to know that.

mod_negotiation has infrastructure to consider a few other mime
as "pseudo html" during the negotiation phase.  Changing
INCLUDES_MAGIC_TYPE in apache:src/include/httpd.h to
application/x-httpd-php results in the behaviour you would hope for.

I haven't got the chops to try to turn this into an acceptable patch.
But the hack could work for others.