At 03:22 PM 2/3/2003 -0500, Dan Kalowsky wrote:
To all concerned,

I would like to request that yet again the PHP5 mailing list be made
public and no longer kept private.  Given that comments in the past few
hours have centered around the existence of the mailing list, it seems
rather absurd to continue the secrecy notion.

To those who will say it is open for joining, I submit to you the
following considerations.  First there is no mention of said mailing list
existing on the mailing-list tab of the PHP main web site.  Second there
is still no publicly viewable record of what has transpired on the
mailing list (which means the 'read the archives' comment is futile).

I for one find it really annoying to find changes to PHP being done
without discussion.  Only later to find through an IRC channel what was
done and why.
As far as I know the mailing list is open for anyone to subscribe (it is moderated). I think a new archive was created which starts about a week ago but I'm not sure where it can be accessed.
I am very happy that the mailing-list tab on the PHP main web site doesn't include it yet. I'd prefer only people who are active in the developer's community (i.e. php-dev, php-qa) to be part it. The last thing we need is to have the whole PHP users community on it. We won't get anything done and that was the whole reason to keep things small.

Andi
P.S.-I don't think your negative tone was called for.