On 16 Feb 2003 20:17:13 +0000
Theo Spears <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sun, 2003-02-16 at 16:17, Pierre-Alain Joye wrote:
> > hello,
> >
> > As a side note, the date range starts on 1/1/1 and ends on
> > 31/12/65535.
> >
> > pierre
>
> What about BCE dates? Wouldn't it be more sensible to allow between
> 31/12/-32767 to 31/12/32767

Playing with months days is completly hazardous with BC dates, even
with dates lower then certain centuries, check the calendar FAQ :).

This choice makes the algorithm easier to implement and faster, the
structure of date/time structire too. It seems this is the way others
men people choosed too for their respective langage or APIs.

As far as I remember, archaeological applications do not use this
structure to store dating datas in an atomic manner.

Note this is an internal limit, logic tells us to do not believe the 1st
january of 340 was a monday for the people who lived during this old
times ;-)), regardless to the algorithm you use. The goals here were
more to work a date after 2038 and before 1970.

thank's for the feedbacks

hth

pierre