On timeout, the engine will call zend_bailout(), which performs a longjmp(). It does unwind the stack, but since we're dealing with C and not C++ and there are no destructors, it's your responsibility to clean after yourself. You can do it by properly registering your resources with PHP's infrastructure (using the Zend Engine memory management, resource management, etc.), which will be destroyed when the request terminates (in this case, shortly after the longjmp()). Doing this is a good idea (read: must) regardless of timeouts, it's the safety net that ensures that your code will not be leaking memory and/or resources beyond the context of a single request.

Zeev