RL>> So, obviously these opens don't really affect the module version
RL>> since they only happen on startup, but they still don't seem right.
RL>> I understand ./php-cgi.ini, but .//php-cgi.ini and .//php.ini?
RL>> Looks like a missing check there.

If this is only for CGI/startup, it is indeed not so important, IMHO.
After all, CGI is not a performance-star anyway.

RL>> Anybody know what the increase from 85 to 95 brk calls actually tells us?

Either increased memory usage or substantial change in memory usage
pattern (e.g., allocation of one big object, than freeing and allocation a
number of small objects with the same size should generate less brk's then
allocating small ones first and then large one).
--
Stanislav Malyshev, Zend Products Engineer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.zend.com/ +972-3-6139665 ext.109