Thanks.

But I have tried  SJIS and Shift_JIS in addition to a couple of other
combinations to no avail. I believe the problem might not be with the way
the encoding is spelled, but elsewhere.

If anyone has a working example of transforming an sjis or other eastern
language encoded xml document, that would be of great help.

Michel

"Marcus Börger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> At 00:40 07.03.2003, Michel Sahyoun wrote:
> >Does anyone have an example of using XSLT with Sablotron to transform and
> >XML document containing Shift-jis encoded characters?
> >
> >I keep getting the following error message: Illegal Character for
Encoding