On 02/08/2016 13:45, Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
To me its important that anyone on this list does not see the -1 from
Jackalope on the expulsion vote is considered an endorsement with
Paul’s discussion style. I have already contacted him before when I
wanted to give him concrete feedback. At this point I have not gotten
the feeling that Paul is acknowledging that there is a problem. I do
think that in the end it will require all sides making a step towards
each other building trust and building at least a base line in
etiquette. At the same time I feel like its on Paul to clearly
communicate that he even cares. I think the “other side” has made it
clear that they would prefer mediation over expulsion and I think
Paul has so far not shown any willingness to adjust his behavior
regardless of offlist or onlist discussions on this topic, so I
understand the frustration that led to expulsion vote. There Paul
imho rather than mend fences favored to fuel the fire once again. If
this was done intentionally or not I cannot tell.

That's pretty much the reason I voted +1. I have never seen Paul acknowledge anything, and any attempt to bring it to the table was derailed in his typical not quite aggressive but yet effectively pissing you off and making you not want to keep discussing anything style.

I don't see the point of debating this any further. A vote to remove membership will not effectively ban Paul from the ML but it would at least send a signal that this kind of discussion style is not condoned and especially it would mean that it doesn't come from a FIG member anymore. That's progress IMO.

Voting -1 means nothing moves forward and we keep on tearing each other apart until everyone gives up. That saddens me as I believe in the potential of the FIG mission, and I have been fighting to keep people around in the last few months.

Best,
Jordi