Hey Gary!

As Larry suggests, the two approaches are very similar and not mutually
exclusive. Taking container interop as an example again, it could easily be
a random project by interested parties that is then turned into a working
group, as a working group is what would be needed to really beat it into
shape over the last mile.

If the purpose of FIG 3.0 is to turn into a proper standards body - and not
just a ratification of stuff more than half of the member projects are
currently doing (or like the sound of) - then a working group is important.
Extra eyes, extra time, extra steps, etc are all required to make it hit
that level.

If we want to carry on exactly as the FIG has done, then letting people
make standard implementations and build a bunch of code off it, then get
frustrated if anyone wants change and just let it languish for years or
slap a rubber stamp on it because close enough... then continue with the
interop approach.

I don't think the FIG 3.0 suggestions as they stand make them a problem
solving body, I think they're just saying "Come and have the conversation
with us" instead of "Ah do what you like, come back when you're done and
hopefully it'll be something we want to ratify without totally recoding
it." I'd hate to see that happen.

Glenn: You seem a bit disgruntled here, maybe I could add some context as
an observer of the FIG 3.0 conversations.

The "political wall" you refer to is "Should this person be in here."
You'll often see a large group of inexperienced junior devs wanted to
standardize something (we've seen about ten standards groups pop up and
burn away to nothing in the space of months), mostly due to those folks
being inexperienced. If you just let literally anyone get involved then you
have a noisy mess that creates either nothing, or creates junk.

"I find it quite offensive that FIG thinks it has the power to modify
community lead interop projects."

Where does it say this? What do you think the FIG is suggesting? If people
want to make a GitHub repo with -interop in the title then they're
perfectly welcome to do so, the FIG is not trying to stop that from
happening and how the heck would it even do that? :D Don't forget, a
foo-interop project could be a working group later, nothing would suggest
otherwise.

*"A PSR should be a formalization of something the community already has."*

Yeah mostly. Take a look at the HTTP Middleware examples, the community had
implemented multiple approaches. Seeing as the community had multiple
existing solutions, which would it standardize? The most popular? By which
metric?

Regardless of which of the many approaches should be standardized, many of
the most popular implementations were using approaches that were full of
holes. Should we rubber stamp this busted approach, or should we use the
standardization process to improve the situation, and bring the PHP
community up to scratch in the process?

I entirely agree that PSRs should have implementations built to test the
theory, and they *could *be interop projects, or they could be Working
Groups. They're not mutually exclusive, but I'd rather have a formal
Working Group than just telling people to go away and come back with
something to be ratified.

The goal is to make the FIG a formal standards body, instead of just a pile
of cowboys knocking out standards based on whatever implementation happens
to be around like PSR-3 == monolog. :)