On Sat, Sep 17, 2016 at 10:06 AM, Paul Jones <pmjone...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sep 15, 2016, at 13:37, Matthew Weier O'Phinney <mweierophin...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > You're creating a false dichotomy, Paul.
>
> Not at all. It might be part assistant, part something else (or perhaps
> multiple something else

And now you're moving the goalposts, because *before* you were asking if it was
one or the other.

> > In late 2015, FIG added a 3-person Secretary position, elected by project
> > reps, to handle managerial tasks but stay out of technical tasks. I
> > personally feel that change has been a resounding success, as managerial
> > tasks are actually getting done now ...
>
> Based on that, it seems the Voting Members are the workers in FIG, and the
> secretaries are the managers in FIG.
>
> Is that what everyone who voted +1 on the secretary role understood the case
> to be?

And this is a false equivalency. Managerial !== authority. Managerial tasks
often involve only coordination of efforts, which, in terms of FIG, means
ensuring the lights stay on for the website, ensuring repositories are setup
with appropriate permissions, etc.

Put in another light: this is similar to the CIO office of an organization.
Another group, the board of directors (voting members in FIG parlance) lays out
strategy and direction, and the CIO office ensures that resources are available
and allocated to make that happen.

As I and others have noted previously in this thread: state your objectives in
the form of a by-law change proposal. Otherwise, please stop hijacking the
discussions with the constant conspiracy theorization. There is none.

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
mweierophin...@gmail.com