Hi all,

The FIG 3.0 vote ended yesterday evening in what will mark a significant
event in the FIG’s history, this is a time for us all to come together, and
work together, to pursue the common aims of this group which we now define
in our bylaws, and put aside political differences of past months.

We [the secretaries] have come up with a draft timetable for the
implementation of FIG 3.0 as per part of FIG 3.0, the 100-implementation
bylaw[1]. If anyone has any objections to what is below, please do air them
and we can always adjust as needed.

   -

   In order to give people a chance to consider if they wish to run for the
   Core Committee, nominations and the CC election will not happen in October
   but in November.
   -

   All member projects according to the bylaw must re-declare their intent
   to remain member projects within 30 days
   -

   We shall switch entirely into FIG 3.0 on the 1st January 2017, by which
   point we should also have a voting system/app in place. This gives WGs time
   to form themselves with a new CC sponsor.
   -

   There are some existing PSRs that it makes sense to finish up before FIG
   3.0 is implemented so they need not form a new working group when they are
   essentially done. These existing PSRs can go through the old
workflow bylaw so
   long as their approval votes start before the end of the year.
   -

   PSRs will continue to be led by their current editors. As the old
   sponsor and coordinator roles are eliminated those currently serving as
   sponsor or coordinator have the option of moving to the new working group.
   It is up to the Editor to find a CC sponsor (who may or may not be one of
   the current sponsors). This applies only to PSRs that have not begun an
   acceptance vote by 1 January.

Formal Timetable (All times UTC, all deadlines/closings are 23:59 UTC)

   -

   1st October: Beginning of period for member projects to declare
   intentions to remain
   -

   31st October: Deadline for projects to declare intentions to remain
   -

   1st November: CC Nominations open
   -

   10th November: CC Nominations close
   -

   11th November: CC Election voting begins
   -

   25th November: CC voting ends
   -

   26th November: CC results announced
   -

   27th November: CC takes post
   -

   16th December: Recommended date for PSRs to have working groups fully
   formed with a CC sponsor
   -

   17th December: Latest date for any FIG 2.0 votes to start except
   acceptance votes
   -

   17th December: Latest date for any PSRs to enter review under the old
   system
   -

   31st December: Latest date for any PSRs to start approval votes under
   the old system
   -

   31st December: Final deadline for PSRs to have full working groups
   formed with a CC sponsor
   -

   1st January: All votes and actions take place under new system; full
   transition
   -

   14th January: Latest possible date for any FIG 2.0 approval votes to
   have finished by
   -

   31st January: Deadline for any PSRs which entered review before the 17th
   December to form a Working Group with a CC sponsor if they failed their
   approval vote/didn’t get to their approval vote in time
   -

   May 2017: Next Secretary and CC election

Finally, there is a general strong recommendation that whilst PSR approval
or Errata votes might take place over the next three months, we’d strongly
recommend waiting for the new structure to be implemented on the 1st
January before any other kind of vote takes place. We are now in an odd
kind of limbo state and membership votes, changes to FIG 3.0 and other
parts of bylaws or entrance votes might be best to wait until the new
structure is in place; especially seeing as the bylaws have changed how
these votes actually take place and the voting franchise, but those people
are not entirely yet in place to vote on those things. This isn’t a rule,
it's not in the bylaws and Secretaries don't have the power to stop votes,
we are simply recommending holding off on such votes to avoid confusion
over who should be voting on the different measures and debate on such
issues.

The next few months will be quite busy, both in terms of PSR activity and
our own internal transitioning to the new structure but we urge everyone to
try and make this process as easy and smooth as possible. The PHP community
and all of your respective communities you represent are watching us; and
they don’t want a mess either. Let’s come together and work together.

Many thanks,

The Secretaries

[1]:
https://github.com/michaelcullum/fig-standards/blob/fig3.0/bylaws/100-implementation.md

“Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working
together is success” - Henry Ford